Monday, February 11, 2008

LOST, Season 4, Episode 2

Dang. Things are getting serious up in here!! We’ve reached the top and now we’re on the downswing. If knowing an end to a story, brings this kinda fast writing and crisp acting, then other television shows need to take heed and follow. If you ain’t ready, I suggest you get ready and buckle that seatbelt. Why? Cause there’s a fast moving train moving down the track.

Since last season’s ‘spoilergate,’ which I’m happy to say I avoided, I made it a point NOT to go looking for spoilers. Especially since I know that, there are a limited number of episodes left. Since the writer’s strike is ‘tentatively’ over, maybe we’ll get the full 16 episodes, instead of the 8 already filmed. And as someone who generally doesn’t mind knowing the story, this is one I am happy to let run its course without knowing. It really does make the story flow smoother.

Below are my thoughts. I’m sure after repeated viewings and scouring the net, some of these thoughts will be up for revision. Let’s get to it...

I think this episode will be a make or break one for some folks. I’m talking about the sci-fi supernatural element. While LOST remains a strong character driven show, some folks didn’t sign up for the supernatural element that was peppered all throughout this show. Me? I’m a sucker for sci-fi supernatural shows and am enjoying it immensely.

Jack and Kate. There are moments where Jack redeems himself in my eyes and the scene when he played tough guy and overpowering Miles and co. was good. As for Kate, can we please just be done with her? I think the seeds of doubt about the rescuers were planted here. In addition, keep in mind, beating down the folks who could get you off the island, isn’t the smartest thing.

As for Locke, even with all the weird stuff going on, I would still think he was a nut. I could see the conundrum that our survivors are feeling, Jack or Locke. Hmmm..

The moment that Jack, Kate, and Sayid saw that helicopter, I just got this funny feeling that they’re gonna wound out doing something really bad to get off the island. I don’t know anything; it was all in their expressions.

The cover-up is starting to uncurl. That’s not the real Oceanic 815 and that pilot knew it; even though I find the wedding band line to be flimsy. Any significance to the simulation the pilot performed in the fish tank? In the experiment, the airplane landed upside down; but we saw that it was right side up.

The four who landed on the island; what’s the connection between them? I’m with Naomi, those four didn’t make sense. In addition, who knew Naomi could have such a cold attitude? Why was Faraday wearing a suit? That would be the last thing I would wear when landing on a ‘remote’ tropical island. Why was he crying while looking at the news report? It was almost like he *knew* that something bad was coming.

Continuing on the fantastic four, didja get a sense of them doing this before? In addition to Faraday crying at the news report, Charlotte’s insistence on having a ‘vest’ before jumping out of the helicopter. The same ‘vest’ that saved her life, after being shot by Ben. Also, the way she acted when she was in the lake. I like Miles. Okay, so he talks to the dead and he’s a thief, but there’s something about him. Thought he was wrong for taking all of Grandma’s money, he already had taken the drug dealers stash. On a side note, I couldn’t figure out/understand what was keeping the spirit from moving on. The pilot who was supposed to fly Oceanic 815, a coincidence that he didn’t fly? I think not. If there’s anything, I’ve learned from this show, NOTHING is a coincidence.

The folks on the freighter, are they Dharma folks? You would think that based on Miles reaction about Juliette being a ‘native’ and the blood hunt for Ben. However, I’m not sure because of Charlotte ’s giddy glee of finding the Dharma polar bear cuff. This leads me to my next statement.

Abbadon’s confrontation with Hurley last week at the mental ward. Wanna revise my comments from last week. When he asked Hurley if they were ‘still alive,’ I’m now thinking he’s referring to the ‘fantastic four’ who parachuted on the island. Speaking of Abbadon’s conversation with Naomi, what did she know to question if there were survivors and what did Abbadon know to insist that there wasn’t?

Is Ben is ruthless or what? I still believe that in the end, he will turn out to be the lesser of the two evils. Even though the Dharma folks do have a right to be gunning for his head. I’m gonna predict that his plant on the freighter ship? None other than Michael. The question is how did they communicate and why would Michael agree to be his spy?

A polar bear in the desert with a Dharma neck collar? Yeah, right ... simple explanation? I don’t think so ...

Still don’t trust Juliet.

Again, all these people and the events that have happened in the past are NOT coincidences. Locke being conned out of a kidney by the man who trigged the murder of Sawyer’s parents. Sawyer meets and kills him years later, releasing his demons and helping Locke with the islanders. Oh yeah, the hole that used to hold Locke’s kidney? It saved him when Ben shot him. As I said, there are no coincidences here.

Okay, I’m done for now. I know folks are developing different theories and while it’s fun to read them, I’m refraining from developing my own. I know the writers said that in the end, the show would be simply explained. Not sure if I buy that completely. If anything I have more questions then before; but, I’m happy to sit back and enjoy the ride. Looking forward to the remaining 46 shows.

No comments: